Cricket Uncut

A group blog run by professional cricket writers from across the world

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Watching cricket from the press box

The first Test I watched in a press box was India v England at Mohali in 2001-02. When the first wicket fell, my head reflexively craned forward in anticipation. A couple of seconds later I realised that I was actually waiting for the replay. How TV spoils us.

There are actually televisions sets in each press box, and one can watch every ball twice. The telecast is a second or two delayed, so after the ball is bowled live, one can straight away look at the TV and see the same ball again. If you're busy typing something, as I am now, that helps, because the live roar of the crowd warns you of a wicket or a boundary, and you can look up in time to see it on TV.
amit varma, 10:11 AM| email this to a friend | permalink | homepage